The organ in Christ Church was built by “Father” Henry Willis, the pre-eminent British organ-builder of the nineteenth century.
It remains to this day substantially the same instrument which he installed in 1888 – a rare and important survival.
As anyone familiar with the work of Father Willis will expect, the Christ Church organ abounds in majestic chorus work, brilliant reeds, colourful flues and many beautiful solo stops and quiet effects. This masterpiece of the organ builder’s art continues to do justice to music from all periods, including the most modern repertoire. It remains a substantial part of our local and national heritage and should provide service, pleasure and inspiration for generations to come.
As the renowned writer W L Sumner observed: “A Father Willis organ is part of our artistic heritage: it should be jealously preserved”.